Welcome to the Jopling/Jobling Site
My name is Ruth Jopling and I am engaged in a "One Name Study" of the Jopling/Jobling name. My own line runs out in Brancepeth, County Durham, UK, where Jane Jopling had an illegitimate son, Thomas, in 1763. Thomas was my four times great grandfather. I have been trying for twenty years to ascertain for sure the family to which he belonged. He was a Whitesmith and lived most of his life in Newcastle. He was married to Sarah Bullock and they had two children, a son William Henry and a daughter Mary. William Henry Jopling started a teacher training and then went on to become an accountant. He married Isabella Atkinson and they had three sons, the youngest, Frederic William Jopling was my grandfather. Frederic married his second cousin, Olivia Jane Atkinson and in turn they had three sons, the youngest of whom was Arthur Frederic, my father. I have two sisters and a brother, but though he is married, my brother has no children and our line will run out as far as the Jopling name goes. The name is carried on by offspring of my cousins.
Whether you are researching your own tree or planning to research all instances of your surname, the Guild of One-Name Studies should be contacted. They can tell you if someone is making a study of `your` name or tell you the criteria for joining the Guild. Click on the logo to go to their website.
Site Intention & Information.
I shall be gradually adding Jop(b)ling information to the site. There is a registration page for those tracing Jopling family trees. I may be able to help you or put you in touch with other branches of your tree and I encourage you to register. The Guild are enabling members to put their websites onto Guild web space & members can elect to have their study available to members of the public researching the same name.
At present you can access:-
1) Apprenticeships. Name & trade, father's name (sometimes) starting in the 17th Century in Durham & Northumberland.
2) Archives- Joplings in the S African National Archives. Link to Jop(b)ling information at the PRO, London. The Unassisted Shipping to Australia passenger list etc.
3) BDM. An index to the Births, Deaths and Marriages registered under Civil Registration and & parish registers; arranged in alphabetical order, a marriage index for the north of England, US Social Security Death Index, the War Graves Commission & Australian War deaths. Canadian cemeteries.
4) CENSUS. Index to the 1841, 51, 61, 71, 81, 1901 & 1911 U.K. census, north USA census 1880, Canadian census 1881and the 1891 census for Scotland.
5) Chronological Events. A timeline featuring Jop(b)lings and national events.
6) Jop(b)ling entries in some Directories & Poll Books.
7) Electoral Roll for the UK 2001.
8) IGI for U.K., Scotland, Australia (incomplete) & Germany.
9) Individual Index. Find all the details about a particular person.
10) Misc. Jop(b)ling information, Addresses & telephone numbers. Joplings & the schools they went to.
11) Wills. An index to wills pre & post 1858.
I have published a Jopling book on Lulu.com called "Their Lives and Times". It is available as a paperback or as an E-book. Click HERE to learn more about it.
© Ruth Jopling 2004 email firstname.lastname@example.org
site updated 5/11/2015